You will love how easy this cake is! Make a delicious rustic and healthy apple cake with olive oil.
It is a universal rule to use olive oil in salads, but how and why to use it in cakes?
Extra virgin olive oil gives the cakes a threefold benefit:
- The vibrant aroma and freshness
- Beneficial effect on health
- Serves as a preservative
- 2 large Gala apples
- 1-2 oranges
- 3 cups (380 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (200 g) of sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (100 g) gold raisins
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 175 °C
- Squeeze oranges in a medium-sized bowl.
- Peel and chop apples finely as possible. Transfer them to a bowl with orange juice to soak in for a while. Just enough juice to toss and coat apples to prevent browning.
- Soak raisins in warm water for 15 min, and then drained them well.
- Sift flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another broad bowl mix together sugar and olive for about 2-3 minutes until it's well combined.
- Add to wet mixture (sugar & olive oil) eggs, one at the time. Mix it for another 2-3 minutes.
- In another large bowl where you had dry ingredients (flour and spices), make a well in the middle and with a spatula add wet mixture (sugar, olive oil, eggs).
- Use a wooden spoon stir until just blended.
- Add drained apples and raisins.
- The batter should be fairly thick.
- Line a 22 cm cake pan with baking paper.
- Add batter to the pan. Spoon thick batter into the pan, and level the top with the back of your wooden spoon.
- Bake it for 40-45 min or until an inserted toothpick or wooden skewer comes out clean. (Don't over bake it to keep the cake nice and moist.)
- Cool completely in the pan.
- When ready, simply lift the baking paper and transfer the cake into a serving dish.
- Dust with icing sugar.