Fairly conclusively experts agree - you should use extra virgin olive oil every day, and we couldn't agree more!
Did you know that people living in the Mediterranean area and living on so-called Mediterranean diet have lower incidences of major illnesses such as cancer and cardiovascular diseases?
This article will explain why extra virgin olive oil is considered one of the healthiest products and the staple ingredient of the famous Mediterranean diet.
Why should you use extra virgin olive oil every day?
- Extra virgin olive oil high in polyphenols is loaded with antioxidants. Some of these antioxidants have a powerful effect as they reduce the risk of many diseases and protect our bodies.
- Extra virgin olive oil is 100% natural fatty olive juice and rich in healthy monounsaturated fats. The best olive oils are low in the oleic acid, which helps to reduce inflammations. Monounsaturated fats in extra virgin olive oil are very resistant to high heat, making extra virgin olive oil the most stable oil for cooking, and the healthiest choice. Yes, you can cook with extra virgin olive oil!
- Extra virgin olive oil has strong anti-inflammatory properties and proven positive effect in preventing diseases such as cancer, heart diseases, diabetes 2, arthritis, Alzheimer's, to name a few. One of the essential antioxidants in extra virgin olive oil is oleocanthal that works similarly to anti-inflammatory drug ibuprofen.
- Did you know that cardiovascular diseases are among the most common causes of death worldwide? Extra virgin olive oil consumption can help prevent and reduce heart diseases. Numerous studies have shown that extra virgin olive oil has significant benefits for the heart.
- Did you know that both olives and extra virgin olive oil contain substantial amounts of compounds deemed to be anticancer agents (squalene and terpenoids)? Many studies have shown that extra virgin olive oil may help reduce rates or the risk of cancers such as breast cancer, colon, ovarian and prostate cancers.
- Diabetes is one of the leading health problems worldwide. Lifestyle is the primary prevention of especially diabetes 2. Many studies suggest that extra virgin olive oil consumption is associated with the prevention and management of diabetes type 2.
- Patients who have rheumatoid arthritis should switch to the Mediterranean, vegan, elemental or elimination diets. Research studies suggest that extra virgin olive oil properties may help minimize and prevent joint destruction. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease characterized by inflammation caused by an over-production of inflammatory proteins known as cytokines. It is clinically proven that increased polyphenols' intake reduces cytokines (note, that the best extra virgin olive oils are loaded with polyphenols).
- Extra virgin olive oil has been used for thousands of years as a cosmetic and beauty product. Many research has confirmed that extra virgin olive oil properties rejuvenate and heal damaged skin.
- Extra virgin olive oil has antibacterial properties that promise to prevent and treat infections.
- Hydroxytyrosol and oleuropein - extra virgin olive oil compounds have been shown to have antiviral activity. Hydroxytyrosol has been shown to disrupt the influenza virus, while oleuropein has been shown to have anti-hepatitis B activity.
- R. W. Owen, R Haubner, G Würtele, E Hull, B Spiegelhalder, H Bartsch, Olives and olive oil in cancer prevention, 2004
- J. Leech, MS, 11 Proven Benefits of Olive Oil, 2018
- Perez-Martinez,P., Garcia-Rios, A., Delgado-Lista, J., Perez-Jimenez, F.; Lopez-Miranda, J. Mediterranean Diet Rich in Olive Oil and Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes Mellitus, 2011
- West, M., 5 Foods That Fight Rheumatoid Arthritis, 2017
- Shweta K., Kumar, S.J., Bhawna G., Managing rheumatoid arthritis with dietary interventions, 2017
- Dawson, D., The Facts About Olive Oil and Skin Care, 2020
- Dening, J., Olive Oil and Infection, 2016
The content of marqt.no is not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek your physician's advice or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because you have read on this website.