Reading time: 5 min
The reality is that many people do not know how to choose good olive oil. The good news is that Marqt.no is on a mission to change that.
We know that it might be confusing with so many different olive oil producers and many different shops and supermarkets trying to sell olive oil. How to choose? What to choose? It is not easy, even for us.
We recommend doing a little research and learn a thing or two about how to choose the best olive oil for you and the environment.
Following these ten hints will help you choose the best olive oil that will benefit your health, which should be your No. 1 reason why buying an extra virgin olive oil in the first place.
- The first hint is visual, the way the olive producer bottles their olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil should ALWAYS be in dark glass bottles or other containers that don't allow UV light to reach the product as it will affect the olive oil. Avoid anything in a clear glass bottle, no matter how pretty and impressive the label and bottle are.
- Choose always extra virgin olive oil, the highest grade of olive oil - EVOO. If you consider buying any lower quality olive oil than extra virgin, we strongly recommend instead buy sunflower oil; in that case, it might be a healthier choice.
- The third hint is an easy hint about what olive oil to buy. If extra virgin olive oil is in Flos Olei, go for it! Flos Olei is the olive oil guide book known as an "Olive Bible"; it is the world's most influential and extensive guide of olive oils; you can be sure that it is an exceptional extra virgin olive oil if listed there.
- Another simple indicator is if the olive oil is good - Has olive oil won awards? - The NYIOOC World Olive Oil Competition or other recognizable international olive oil competitions such as AVPA Paris Gourmet Awards, London International Olive Oil Competition, Japan Olive etc.
- It is much likely to find the best extra virgin olive oils in specialized gourmet shops than in supermarkets.
- Unlike wine, extra virgin olive oil does not get better with ageing. Try to buy extra virgin olive oils from the latest harvest; the fresher the olive oil, the better = healthier.
- Some top olive oils have a clear indication of the harvest year on the bottle or website, or the best before date should be on the label. If extra virgin olive oil does not have a "best by date" on it, don't buy it.
- The best extra virgin olive oils usually come in small bottles of 100 ml to 750 ml. When you open an olive oil bottle, it will start to oxidize and slowly deteriorate in quality and health benefits, so if not a big olive oil user (yet). We suggest going for a smaller bottle size, especially if you don't use olive oil often. As once you open a bottle, you should use it within a month.
- Buying from small and artisan producers trustworthy is one of the best indicators of both quality and authenticity. Those olive producers produce small batches of extra virgin olive oil, as that is the only (best) way to control the superior quality of the extra virgin olive oil quality. At Marqt.no, we carefully selected and partnered with such small Mediterranean olive producers to bring you high-quality products produced with love, care and integrity loaded with antioxidants. Our beloved olive oil producer Ivo from the Gardens of Eden produces little as 1,500 litres. Unfortunately, many claims that they represent smaller producers, while the reality is different. At least this is something easily checked. Look into the olive producer and check their volume (note that 150,000 litres is not a tiny olive production). Again, please do your research; you must choose the best possible healthy olive oil option.
- Do not assume that buying a more prominent, well-known brand name guarantees the best quality. More often than not, they compromise quality for quantity.
We hope to educate people on making the right decisions when buying the olive oil that will be good for their taste buds, health, the environment and the olive oil industry.
Better education of consumers on olive oils will help the industry most and solve fraudulent olive oils issues.
If interested in olive oil news and learning more besides reading our articles, we recommend following the Olive Oil Times.
Photo: Olive oil producer Giorgio Clai from Istria (the world's best olive producing region according to Flos Olei), is producing an award-winning organic extra virgin olive oil Terrebianche.
To learn more about olive oils and how to choose the best, we recommend to reading the article:
- How can you tell the quality of extra virgin olive oil?
- or many other interesting articles that you can find here.
- D. Putier, How Packaging Influences Olive Oil Quality, 2014
- A. Piscopo & M. Poiana, Packaging and Storage of Olive Oil, 2012