Although most people use olive oil in food, there is an increasing trend towards using olive oil in cosmetics. Olive oil has been used in cosmetics for millennia, so it is not something new.
The real nutrition for your skin comes down to what you eat, and many experts recommend incorporating extra virgin olive oil in your daily diet.
What are the skin benefits of using cosmetics with extra virgin olive oil?
- EVOO is rich in vitamins - A, D, K and D
- EVOO has antioxidants properties, so it might help prevent or reverse damage from cancer-causing ultraviolet radiation.
- EVOO is known to hydrate skin.
- EVOO fights bacteria, and using olive oil soaps will decrease bacteria that cause acne.
How can you use extra virgin olive oil on your face?
You can find olive oil as one of the ingredients in different cosmetic products such as face wash, soaps, lotions, body washes, to name a few.
Unfortunately, applying extra virgin olive oil directly to your skin in an immense amount can clog your pores and even cause acne, especially if you have very sensitive, dry, acne-prone or oily skin.
You can even use EVOO directly on your skin as a moisturizer in small quantities (using an eyedropper) and gently massaging it, especially after sunburns, to heal the skin. But remember if using olive oil on your skin quality matter, choose preferably premium organic extra virgin olive oils.
Low-quality olive oils will be too acidic for your skin. Whatever you decide, start slow - use small quantities to see how your skin will react.
Can you use olive oil directly as a make up remover?
One of the popular uses of extra virgin olive oil is a makeup remover. Everyone's skin is different so you should be cautious, especially if you have oily skin.
EVOO works well to break down the waxy substances of mascara, eyeliner etc. However, EVOO won't altogether remove your makeup, but it is a first right step to remove the skin's makeup. We recommend buying instead of cosmetic products with olive oil as an ingredient.
Many years ago on my trip to Japan, I was lucky to discover a fantastic cosmetic product with olive oil as the main ingredient - DHC cleansing oil, a great makeup remover, one of the most sought after cosmetic products in Japan. I highly recommend giving it a try - it works magic!
Olive oil soaps
High quality extra virgin olive oil is a perfect ingredient for soap as olive oil is loaded with antioxidants. Olive oil soaps can have various antifungal and antibacterial properties.
Olive oil baths
Beautiful actress Sophia Loren says that olive oil baths are her beauty secret!
All you need to do is put five tablespoons of organic olive oil in warm water and take a bath. Your skin will be unrecognizably soft and very smooth.
- Budiyanto, A., Ahmen, N. U., Wu, A., Bito, T., Nikaido, O., Osawa, T., … Ichihashi, M. (2000). Protective effect of topically applied olive oil against photocarcinogenesis following UVB exposure of mice. Carcinogenesis, 21(11), 2085-2090
- Cooke, A., Cork, M. J., Victor, S., Campbell, M., Danby, S., Chittock, J., & Lavender, T. (2016, March). Olive Oil, sunflower oil or no oil for baby dry skin or massage: A pilot, assessor-blinded, randomized controlled trial (the oil in baby skincare). Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 96(3), 323-30
- Dawson, D. (2020), The Facts About Olive Oil and Skin Care, The Olive Oil Times
The content of marqt.no is not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek your physician's advice or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because you have read on this website.