Extra virgin olive oil is a fatty juice obtained from the fruit of the olive tree Olea Europaea.
Role of olive oil in the Mediterranean diet
Extra virgin olive oil is a fundamental part of the famous Mediterranean diet - a simple, light and healthy cuisine, with defined tastes and full of harmony.
How many different olive oil grades there are?
Different olive oil grades are extra virgin, virgin olive oil, olive oil, and refined olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is the highest quality and the most beneficial olive oil to your health. Look no further and choose extra virgin olive oil, always!
Extra virgin olive oil is highly beneficial for health due to large quantities of monounsaturated fatty acids. In addition, extra virgin olive oil also contains healthy antioxidants polyphenols, proven to help reduce and prevent various diseases.
Extra virgin olive oil is a strictly regulated food product. However, due to its excellent reputation and high price, it is often targeted by fraudsters. To avoid purchasing fake olive oil and choose the best (healthiest) olive oil, you can learn the best hints on how to buy the best olive oil. Learn more here.
- R. Puchades & Á. Maquieira, Food Protected Designation of Origin, in Comprehensive Analytical Chemistry, 2013
- Ö. Seçmeler & C. M.Galanakis, Chapter 8 - Olive Fruit and Olive Oil, 2019
- European Commission, Olive oil in the EU, 2020
- A. Segura-Carretero, J. Menéndez-Menéndez, A. Fernández-Gutiérrez, Chapter 19 - Polyphenols in Olive Oil: The Importance of Phenolic Compounds in the Chemical Composition of Olive Oil, 2010
- María-Isabel Covas, 2007, Olive oil and the cardiovascular system, Article· Literature Review in Pharmacological Research, 2007
- G. Buckland, N. Travier, A. Agudo, et al. Olive oil intake and breast cancer risk in the Mediterranean countries of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study, 2012