Reading time: 30 sec
Award-winning oils are simply outstanding!
Making exceptional olive oil takes determination, hard work, skills and obsessive attention to every single detail.
All award-winning olive oils have the following characteristics in common:
- Fruitiness - Every good olive oil should be fresh and fruity.
- Bitterness - Freshly picked from the tree, olives are bitter, thus every good olive oil needs to be bitter.
- Pungency - Healthy phenolic compounds in fresh and high-quality olive oils should induce a cough sting on the throat.
- Complexity - Exceptional oils take us on a complex sensory journey and elevate the taste of our foods.
- Balance - A perfect balance of flavours, fruitiness and bitterness sets apart exceptional from other olive oils.
- A.K. Devarenne, An Introduction to Olive Oil Tasting, 2010, Olive Oil Times
- ESAO Olive Oil School of Spain, eBook Your First Step on the Road to Olive Oil, 2020