Works a charm in the oven!
This flavourful risotto is simply baked in the oven, so there is no need to spend lots of time at the stove stirring.
Serves: 4 people
Prep: 10 min
Cooking time: 1h 15 min
- 500 g fresh beetroot
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- knob of butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250 g risotto rice
- 150 ml white wine
- 700 ml hot vegetable stock
- handful grated parmesan
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- handful chopped dill
- Heat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Peel and trim the beetroots and cut into large wedges.
- Place on a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet. Season it with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast beetroot for 1 hr until they are soft.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil with the butter in an ovenproof pan with a lid.
- Add onion and garlic, sauté for 3-5 mins until translucent.
- Stir in the rice until well coated with the butter and oil.
- Add white wine, then let the mixture bubble away for 5 mins.
- Stir well, then pour over the stock. Stir again, cover and place in the oven.
- Cook for 15 mins until the rice is soft.
- Remove the beetroots from the oven.
- Using a hand mixer make a purée from ¼ of beetroot.
- Chop the remaining beetroots into small pieces.
- Stir most of the parmesan, the beetroot purée and chopped beetroot through the risotto.
- Serve with soured cream dolloped over and the dill and extra parmesan scattered on top.