The most perfect and simple side dish! A classic!
We love to serve it with honey glazed salmon.
Serves: 4-6 people
Prep: 25 min
Cooking: 45 min
- 500 ml double cream
- 500 ml of milk
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 large King Edward or Maris Piper potatoes
- 100 g gruyère, grated
- Heat oven to 190 °C
- Slice 8 large potatoes very finely, about 3-4 mm.
- In a large saucepan mix the double cream, milk ad garlic cloves. Bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes to the cream and simmer for 3 mins until just cooked.
- Gently stir to separate the potato and stop it sinking and catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and place in a wide shallow ovenproof dish to 5cm in depth.
- Discard the garlic from cream.
- Pour over the garlic-infused cream just enough to seep through the layers and leave a little moisture on the surface.
- Scatter over 100g grated gruyère cheese.
- Bake for 30 mins until the potatoes are soft and browned – increase the heat for 5 mins if not brown enough.